There are many organizations and websites dedicated to helping kids understand their water use and become better water stewards. Here’s a short list – let us know if we’ve missed one.
Kid-Friendly Water Websites
There are many excellent (and free!) online water education resources. Here is our curated list of websites, curricula and quizzes you can use in your classroom.
- US EPA WaterSense Kids
Kids learn why it’s important to save water and some simple ways to do it.
- Water Use it Wisely: Kids H2O Activities and H2O Facts
This is a long list of activities to help kids learn about water.
- WWF: Free Rivers Augmented Reality App
This app puts the river landscape in your hands and lets you immerse yourself in a virtual world, where you’ll meet the people and wildlife that live along the river.
- LOTT Clean Water Alliance: WET Science Center
The Water Education and Technology Science Center is a free, hands-on water education center that offers many online resources.
- Denver Water: Youth Education Program
This page has activities and information to increase knowledge of water in Colorado, educate children about Denver Water and help create wise water-use behaviors.
Water Quizzes and Games
- American Water Works Association: The Story of Drinking Water
Online quizzes and games – do you know the story of drinking water? Find out with this quiz.
- EPA WaterSense ‘Test Your WaterSense’
Think you know everything there is to know about water? You can’t be sure until you Test Your WaterSense!
- How Stuff Works Everyday Science: Water Quiz
How much do you really know about water? From its molecular characteristics to its status as a crucial commodity, this site will put your water knowledge to the test.
- National Geographic Kids: Save the Earth
NatGeo has tips, videos, and games to help you save the Earth.
- Thirstin Builds an Aquifer
In this PDF, the EPA provides step-by-step lessons on building your own aquifer in a cup.
- FunTrivia: Saving Water – Every Drop Counts
This quiz includes facts about water and how to save it in the home.
- The Colorado River Water District Water Wizard Quiz
Dive right in and test your water knowledge with these multi-level quizzes.
- Water Environment Foundation: Pipe Up!
This game teaches kids what’s involved in building the systems that deliver our water and making sure we have access to clean water.
- Colorado River Alliance: Texas 2040: Save Our Rivers. Save Our Future
This interactive game helps players understand how drought and population growth will affect Texas’ rivers.